Monday, March 2, 2009

Definitions

I decided to share some of my thoughts and connotations from the words that Professor Hepworth gave us last week.

What defines an American?
PATRIOTIC, die-hard, GLUTTONOUS, power-hungry, FREE, egotistical, CONSUMPTION, exempt from rules, DEMOCRATIC, leader, SEX-DRIVEN

What is wild?
UNCIVILIZED, boundary-less, FREE TO ROAM, free-spirited, UNBOUND BY RULES, choice

What is culture?
TRADITIONS, lifestyle
, HUMANISM, society, ARTS, food, CIVILIZATION, perception, COHESION

What is nature?
HARMONIOUS, light, OUTDOORS, animals, TREES, air, ELEMENTAL, complex, SIMPLICITY

What is wilderness?
FOREST, inhabited with creatures that could potentially do harm but may not, NATURE WITH DANGEROUS ELEMENTS

1 comment:

  1. You have very strong words for "American." Die-hard, gluttonous, egotistical, and sex-driven make me laugh. Although I am very patriotic (as I think most of us are), I can't deny that the words you listed are sadly true. But, I think that "sex-driven" orginates from the media. Advertisements. Movies. Hollywood. Just about everyone on the entire planet is sex-driven to a certain extent, but it our media and Hollywood that makes it so accessible (the media bombards us with it) and okay. Back the first half of the 20th Century, sex stayed in the bedroom, but now the tables are turned and it surrounds us (movies, billboards, T.V. commercials and shows, etc.). My point is, is that I think it's our changing culture that has become sex-driven. And when a company is trying to sell something, it's a no brainer that they'll use sex to sell it. Sex sells. Anywho, that somehow turned into a little rant for really no reason. :)
    By the way, I like how you use both complex and simplicity for nature. I think nature is extremely complex, but can appear very simple.

    ReplyDelete